Find out below how to apply for or renew a firearm, shotgun or explosives certificate. Whether you’re a firearm owner, firearm dealer, shooting club member or planning to travel with firearms, answer a few quick questions and we’ll guide you to the right form and everything you need to complete it.

Coronavirus (Covid-19)

We are temporarily unable to process any new applications for the grant of shotgun, firearms or explosives certificates. This is due to home visits no longer being possible, following government guidance on the need for social distancing. Renewal applications are currently still being processed. Please contact us online if you have any questions

Advice tool

Add other firearm(s) or ammunition to a current certificate

Coronavirus (Covid-19): due to the government advice on social distancing, we will not be doing home visits and will contact you via phone.


How do I apply?

Step 1: Download, complete and sign the Application to Vary a Firearm Certificate (Form 201V).

You'll need these details:

  • your current firearms certificate
  • the name and address of your current UK GP or UK GP practice
  • any physical or mental health conditions
  • any previous convictions
  • firearm(s) you wish to vary and why


Step 2: There's no charge for an increase in ammunition. For additional firearms make out a cheque for £20, payable to Surrey Police.

We can’t accept cash or postal orders.

Step 3: Post the completed form, cheque and your current firearms certificate to:

Firearms and Explosives Licensing Unit
Sussex Police Headquarters
Malling House
Church Lane
East Sussex


How much does it cost?

It's free to add ammunition. 

To add firearms costs £20.

What happens after I apply?

We'll get in touch as quickly as possible if we have any questions about your application or need to ask for more information.

Otherwise, you should receive your updated certificate within eight weeks.