Frequently asked questions

Can my partner or a family member transport my firearm or shotgun for me? 
Not unless they hold either a certificate or a permit in their own right for the firearms. 

What makes me a prohibited person from possessing firearms? 

Sentenced to a term of imprisonment in excess of three months will prohibit an individual for five years from release. Sentenced to more than three years will prohibit an individual for life. 

At which point does an air weapon require a certificate? 
Air rifles over 12-feet pounds muzzle energy. 

Must I declare all convictions? 
Yes, including all traffic convictions and any offences committed abroad. 

Must I notify sales and/or acquisitions? 
Firearms legislation requires that all notifications must be sent to the below address in writing, including sales/acquisitions abroad. We do accept faxes and email notifications.

What is the process for destroying or disposing of a firearm? 
Arrangements should be made either with a registered firearms dealer or at a police station, with notification sent to us by recorded delivery or registered post. 

When are reminders sent out? 
Reminder letters are sent out to renew certificates twelve weeks prior to expiry. Renewal applications should be returned to us at least 8 weeks (40 working days) before expiry of your current certificate. Applications received outside of this may not get dealt with before expiry of your current certificate, and you may have to make alternative arrangements at your own expense to place your guns into storage. 

Must I notify a change of address? 
Conditions on your certificate state you must notify a change of permanent address. Take a copy of the certificate and post the original to the address below with a short note stating when the change will take effect. 

What happens if I disclose a serious medical or mental health condition? 

Firearms Licensing will request you obtain a report from your GP or Mental Health team in respect of the medical or mental health condition to assist in the decision to grant or renew your certificate. You will be liable for any fees incurred.

Contact us

Please email your enquiries to the Firearms Licensing Office.

Alternatively, should your query be urgent, or if you do not have access to email, you can telephone 01273 404892 between 10am and 12 noon.

You can post applications and enquiries to:

Firearms and Explosives Licensing Unit
Sussex Police Headquarters
Malling House
Church Lane
East Sussex

You can also fax notifications to 01273 404228

Please note that only in exceptional circumstances should applicants pre-arrange personal delivery of paperwork to Police Headquarters. This can only be accommodated between 8am and 3pm Monday to Friday by prior appointment. Visitors outside of these hours or without appointment may be turned away.