Report a crime online or call us on 101 or 999 in an emergency

Reporting road traffic collisions

Find out how to report non-urgent traffic accidents.

If you are the driver of a vehicle involved in a road traffic collision and owner / insurance / vehicle details were not exchanged at the scene OR you sustained an injury, you must report the incident in person at a police station as soon as possible and within 24 hours. You are legally obliged to do this.

The driver of the vehicle involved should take the following documents to the station with them:

  • FULL driving licence
  • Insurance certificate
  • MOT documents.

If no one was injured in the collision and you’ve already exchanged contact and insurance details with the other person, or people, involved you are under no legal obligation to report this incident to the police.

Find your nearest Police station.

Exit this website