Police urge continued vigilance as man arrested for towpath sexual exposure offence
Main article content
A 46-year-old man from Woking was arrested on Friday, 8 January for a sexual exposure offence that took place along the Basingstoke Canal towpath in December 2020.
The man has been released on police bail.
We are urging the public to continue to be aware because we have had several offences taking place along the towpath reported over the last 18 months and we believe they have been committed by different offenders. Any suspicious behaviour or incidents should be reported to us at the time or as soon as it is safe to do so.
Inspector Dave Bentley, Borough Commander for Woking said: “Police will be continuing to patrol the area and I want to reiterate that my team is doing everything they can to identify those responsible. Please get in touch if you have any information that could help with our investigations.”
If you find yourself in a similar situation:
- trust your instincts and if you think a situation is getting worse, look for a way to escape;
- put distance between yourself and the other person if you are able to;
- call 999 if you can;
- if you’re unable to, then call police as soon as you can.
Anyone with any information which could help with our investigation is asked to contact us via
- Webchat on our website surrey.police.uk
- Online https://www.surrey.police.uk/ro/report/ocr/af/how-to-report-a-crime/
- Calling us on 101
If you do not wish to leave your name, please call the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.